In 2016, Portland Taiko moved its operations to the Oregon Buddhist Temple, designed new t-shirts, designed new costumes, designed a new website, commissioned drawings for the Portland Festival Yatai, recruited two trainees and three new performing members, recruited one new Board member, welcomed back three former members, reestablished the PT Benefit Banquet, offered taiko classes and workshops, collaborated with Multnomah County libraries, presented workshop-performances at elementary schools, and performed at Washington Park, Oregon Symphony Waterfront Concert, Hoyt Arboretum, Methow Arts Center, Laika, Portland Art Museum, Oregon Convention Center, Gerding Theater, the Davis Cup, and for Mochitsuki, Oya No Kai, Oregon Nikkei Endowment, Oregon Buddhist Temple, Asian Celebration, and other local organizations and events!
As 2016 comes to a close, we ask that you consider a donation to help us drive our key 2017 initiatives:
- Kodo at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall: intimate pre-concert performance by Portland Taiko (February)
- Seattle mini tour: performances at the Whidbey Island Center for the Arts and the Seattle Cherry Blossom Festival (April)
- New collaborations: Lan Su Chinese Garden, Portland Children’s Museum, Young Musicians & Artists, Grace Art Camp, Anjali Dance, Northwest Children’s Theater, and OMSI (May–August)
- Portland Festival Yatai: the design and construction of a Japanese festival cart to represent PT in the Rose Festival Starlight Parade (June)
- Taiko Together: a special concert featuring the four taiko groups in Portland: Portland Taiko, Takohachi, en Taiko, and Unit Souzou (September)
- New assembly programs: development of new programs and repertoire for schools and workshops
- Operations: expenses related to classes, workshops, and rehearsals (staffing, rent, utilities)
Your generosity will help PT meet these exciting objectives with full force at the top of the New Year. Please donate online or by check to Portland Taiko; 3728 SE 34th Avenue; Portland, OR 97202. Thank you for your kind support and here’s to an amazing 2017!!!
Chad Williams (Board President) and Wynn Kiyama (Executive Director)